WHAT IS BOWEN THERAPY?
If you are like most people in Canada, you may have never heard of Bowen Therapy.
That is because it is a technique that originated in Australia and has migrated and evolved all over the world. Despite it's popularity in the UK and Australia, Bowen Therapy is still very new to Canada but is quickly gaining momentum.
Bowen Therapy is a gentle bodywork technique that is gentle, safe, non-invasive and incredibly effective for treating physical and emotional pain, while addressing structural, functional and psychological problems.
With our busy lifestyles, our bodies are almost always in a chronic stress response. This substantially reduces our body’s capacity to heal.
Bowen Therapy retrains the body’s autonomic nervous system allowing it to regain balance and spend more time healing. Dr. Maryam always recommends Bowen Therapy FIRST to enhance all the therapies she uses, and to increase the body’s ability to absorb, digest, process and eliminate.
Bowen Therapy is one of the strongest, fastest and most effective modalities for treating pain, chronic illness and improving overall health.
What conditions does Bowen Therapy treat?
Since Bowen Therapy works on the entire nervous system and body by switching the body into parasympathetic healing mode, it is effective in treating a variety of conditions simply by triggering the body's healing response.
From psychological, mental and emotional symptoms, to chronic pain, acute conditions, and digestive and skin concerns, Bowen Therapy is one of the most effective therapies for healing a myriad of conditions.
Bowen Therapy is effective in treating:
- Frozen Shoulder
- Back & Neck Pain
- Anxiety, Depression and Mood Disorders
- Bed-wetting & Colic
- Headaches and Migraines
- Infertility & Pregnancy Concerns
- PMS & Hormonal Issues
- Chronic Fatigue
- Sports Injuries
- PTSD and Trauma
- Plantar Fasciitis
- TMJ (Jaw) Pain
- IBS, Chron's Disease & Digestive Issues
- and Much more!
Is your condition not listed here? Contact Dr. Maryam today to see if Bowen Therapy is right for you!
How does Bowen Therapy work?
Bowen Therapy works by stimulating the body's body's fascia and the parasympathic response through a series of rolling-type movements performed by hand on specific points on the body. These movements activate nerve bundles below the muscle and soft tissue of the body.
By stimulating meridian points in a specific order and with careful pauses in between, Bowen Therapy prompts the body to reset, repair and balance itself.
Specifically, Bowen Therapy:
- Stimulates blood circulation which drives nutrients and healing factors to arrive at injured tissue or sluggish organs, increasing healing capacity and speed.
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage. This process allows broken down cellular debris to be removed from the body and reduces swelling.
- Stimulates the superficial fascia underlying the skin and subcutaneous fat tissue. The fascia is the protein matrix that holds our body together. It is a semi-conductor involved in cellular communication. The body responds to Bowen Therapy stimulation by enhancing local healing and encouraging remodeling of fascia to promote mobility.
- Switches the body from stress (sympathetic) mode to healing (parasympathetic) mode so that the body can heal. With our current lifestyle, we are almost always in sympathetic mode, which substantially reduces our body’s capacity to heal. Regular treatments retrain the body’s autonomic nervous system allowing better balance and more time spent in healing mode.
- Stimulates the local sensory nervous system, causing a reflex impulse through the spinal cord to the brain and returning to the location of the stimulated point.
- Re-aligns posture by relaxing tense muscles and tonifying over-stretched muscles.
What Happens During a Treatment?
A typical treatment takes approximately an hour and is performed over loose or light clothing.
During the treatment the practitioner will perform a series of moves on various points of the body and then allows the body to briefly rest a couple of minutes, before the next set of moves. This rest period allows the body to integrate the move and remain relaxed, keeping the body in parasympathetic mode and helping the patients body and mind heal.
Treatments are normally performed once per week until recovery is achieved and then less often until 100%. Unlike many other body-work techniques, Bowen therapy works quickly and permanently. Most patients report 50 – 80% improvement after 3 treatments and complete success before 10 treatments.
Is Bowen Therapy right for me?
Bowen Therapy is safe for people of all ages and conditions. Because Bowen Therapy moves are incredibly gentle and non-invasive, it is safe for children, babies, the elderly, pregnant women, and those suffing from significant pain.
Does Bowen Therapy have any side-effects?
After a Bowen Therapy treatment, patients feel relaxed and renewed. Patients also often report symptoms of physical detoxification and emotional clarity after a treatment.
In some cases, patients might feel their condition aggrevate after a bowen session. This is a normal response and usually dissapates quickly with rest and relaxation. This is the body's way of telling us to slow down and take it easy so it can do the healing work needed.
It is important after a Bowen session to avoid any physical and emotionally stressful situations and get plenty of rest and water in order to ensure the best results.
Does Bowen Therapy Work?
Bowen Therapy is incredibly effective for treating a variety of conditions. Click here to view testimonials and see Dr. Maryam's results.
Dr Maryam Ferdosian, Registered Bowen Health Therapist (RBHT)
Dr. Maryam is a certified Bowen practitioner with advanced certifications in the Bowen technique, making her one of the most experienced Bowen Therapists in Vancouver, BC and Canada.
Dr. Maryam is a graduate from the esteemed Bowen College and her reputation with both her patients, colleagues and Bowen Therapists is widely recognized.
She has practiced under Dr. Manon Bolliger, founder of Bowen College, for the past 6 years before forming her own practice, and has successfully treated hundreds of patients using Bowen Therapy.
With a background in Kinesiology and Naturopathic medicine, Dr. Maryam brings a unique insight to both the theory and practice of Bowen Therapy and, when necessary, will compliment her Bowen Therapy treatments with other forms of naturopathic medicine as well as Kinesiology exercises.